Campbell College Pipes & Drums
Campbell College Pipe Band was founded in 1909 from members of the Officer Training Corps and is currently one of the oldest active pipe bands in Northern Ireland. Since then there have been many iterations of both uniforms and instruments, however one thing has remained constant; the devotion of its members and their pride in being able to represent their school.
One such opportunity came on 8th May 1945 when the Pipes and Drums lead the first V-E Day parade in Portrush celebrating the end of WW2. Another defining moment occurred when Campbell College was granted a Royal Charter by Her Majesty The Queen. On 1st June 1951 band members had the opportunity to perform for the Royal entourage as they visited the school on a beautiful summer's day, under the command of Drum Major S.S. Johnston.
More recently, the Pipes and Drums have just returned from a battlefields tour of France and Belgium, playing during the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate on 26th June 2019 in addition to The Ulster Tower, Thiepval Memorial and over 40 graves of Old Campbellians who lost their lives in WW1.
For the 800 or so pupils that have played in the Pipe Band over the years, there is a satisfaction in knowing that they have been given an opportunity that few other gentlemen of their age have had. They have developed lasting friendships and excelled at their instruments, working in a team to produce wonderful music. Long may it continue!